"I appreciate that every client and project is different. I invest time in understanding the unique aspect of every project to create value and deliver exceptional commercial outcomes."
Steven acts for a range of large institutional clients, large private client groups and high net worth individuals, including large-scale real estate developers, construction companies, mezzanine and private lenders, hotel and serviced apartment operators and medium to large businesses.
He has extensive experience in real estate development transactions, structured property acquisitions and disposals, commercial leasing, joint venture and project delivery structures, corporate and acquisition finance, project and real estate debt and equity finance and front end construction matters.
Steven’s focus is on delivering complex real estate investment and divestment transactions, with a strong emphasis on:
- site acquisition and due diligence
- structured real estate transactions, including joint ventures, project delivery agreements
- management and services agreements and option arrangements
- investment structures
- inbound foreign direct and indirect investment structuring and compliance advice
- title structuring advice, strata by-laws, community title schemes, residential land lease communities, building management statements and strata management statements
- the delivery of new town centres
- hotel investment and development transactions, including operator and management agreements
- off the plan sales and management
- leasing and agreements for leases
The other half of Steven’s practice consists of debt and equity finance transactions, particularly in the structured real estate financing space, including traditional construction financing, preference equity transactions, mezzanine financing and hybrid debt/equity investment products and related structuring.
Project Delivery Agreement — acted for a consortium of landowners on a project delivery agreement for a $2.5b project in the inner-west of Sydney.
Title structuring, joint venture and off the plan sales — acted on the title structuring, joint venture and off the plan sales for a 750 apartment mixed use project in southern Sydney.
Collective sale — acted for a consortium of over 50 owners in relation to a collective sale.
Development agreement — acted in relation to the re-documentation and advice on a development agreement concerning a project for over 1500 new homes in western Sydney.
Acquisitions International — Best in Corporate Acquisitions Finance Award — NSW — 2014
Acquisitions International — Real Estate Lawyer of the Year, Australia — NSW — 2015
Corporate LiveWire — Best Real Estate Lawyer, Australia — NSW — 2018 & 2019
Corporate LiveWire — Finance Lawyer of the Year, Australia — NSW — 2015 & 2016
Banking, Finance and Insurance
Building and Construction
Energy & Resources
Mining, Oil & Gas
Property and Commercial Development
Other areas of expertise
Bachelor of Commerce, University of New South Wales
Bachelor of Laws, University of New South Wales