In Australia’s increasingly regulated commercial environment, if a dispute of any type emerges it is essential to have the right advice at the right time. The experience of the Addisons' team in running complex litigation, arbitrations and mediations means that our clients receive the advice that will move them to resolution quickly and effectively.
The objective that drives Addisons’ litigation practice is to keep clients out of court wherever possible and to seek an alternative to litigation. Addisons sees court litigation as being the last resort and always endeavours to find a settlement which will deliver a positive commercial outcome for the client. However if it is necessary to go to Court we are robust litigators and will fight hard for our clients to win. This approach is one that has delivered the best result for clients in a broad range of disputes over many years.
The Addisons commercial litigation practice has deep experience and expertise in conducting large, complex and high-stakes commercial litigation for listed corporates, co-operatives, SMEs, high net worth individuals and financial institutions. As an independent practice, Addisons is not constrained by the commercial and legal conflict issues which exist in many of the larger law firms, and Addisons regularly accepts conflict referrals from leading national and international firms.
Our focus on collaboration allows multiple teams to pull together across relevant practice areas to prepare an effective litigation strategy in one location. In particular we work closely with our Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate teams such that we are well placed to understand the commercial risks and drivers facing directors, boards, shareholders and management, and to provide them with strategic and highly commercial advice to resolve disputes effectively and in a way which minimises risk.
Throughout the conduct of any litigation or dispute resolution, we constantly offer clients:
- Technical expertise in the subject matter of their litigation as well as in the litigation process itself
- Realistic ongoing assessment of prospects
- Ongoing case management to ensure cost-effective outcomes
- Pro-active settlement and dispute resolution options
- Commitment to delivering results which are legally sound and commercially appropriate.
Our lawyers also include qualified mediators who are trained in alternative dispute resolution processes.
Addisons is also experienced in guiding clients through investigations and examinations by regulators such as ASIC and the ACCC, as well as representing clients in Commissions and Inquiries.
- Administrative law disputes
- Class actions
- Commercial property disputes, including retail leasing
- Commissions and Inquiries
- Competition and trade practices
- Consumer protection
- Contract disputes
- Corporate governance
- Defamation and contempt
- Directors and officers duties and liabilities
- Employment and restraint of trade disputes
- Insolvency and debt recovery
- Intellectual property disputes
- Mergers & Acquisitions disputes, including earnout and completion payments
- Product liability disputes
- Professional negligence disputes
- Property/Real Estate disputes including leasing
- Shareholder and business disputes
- Statutory inquiries
- Trade practices
- Regulatory investigations